Mold is considered a severe health hazard, and, as such, mold in a home cannot be ignored. Despite that, over 70% of Canadian households contain mould in some form, and 28% of Canadians are genetically predisposed to mold-related health problems. So, how can we identify and eliminate mould from our homes?
Mold is a fungus that can grow on buildings and homes, and any other object with damp conditions. Mold can quickly turn a comfortable basement into a musty room that causes sneezing and itchy eyes.
Since this is a significant threat to your health and property, here is how to tell if you have mold in your house and what to do about it.
Visual Signs of Mold in a Home
One of the best ways to tell if there is mold in a house is to do a visual inspection.
The best place to start your mould inspection is in the potential problem areas of your home. Since mould requires moisture to survive, it is most likely you will find mould in your basement, kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, garage, or any other place where there is a potential buildup of moisture.
Make sure to search each room systematically, starting from one end of the room going from top to bottom, left to right. Where possible, move appliances and look behind them. Washing machines, dishwashers, and fridges might be hiding problem spots that you would not otherwise be able to see without moving them.
Mould does not take long to grow – mould can appear just 24-48 hours after flooding, so if your home has recently had leaks or flooding we recommend inspecting shortly thereafter.
While inspecting potential problem areas, be on the lookout for excessive moisture, stains, or discolouration on floors, walls, windows, ceiling tiles, fabrics, and carpets. Mould can grow on a large variety of surfaces, including furniture. Take a close look for signs of leaks, condensation, flooding, or a musty odour. Any of these signs can point to a potential mould problem.
If you can see mold, it could be worse than it looks. If you see a lot of mold in walls, you might be facing a bigger problem than you think. Mould can penetrate surfaces of your home, releasing spores into the air which can harm you and your family’s health.
When it comes to mold , typically the eyes only see a small part of it, and this is a situation that calls for professional backup, as simple scrubbing with a sponge and soap won’t do. In fact, even minimal exposure to black mould while cleaning yourself can lead to health issues for yourself and a family.
Not all mold infestations are visible, and many homes have hidden mold, also known as invisible mould. When mould is present but not visible to the naked eye, the most common first sign are physical symptoms such as asthma, itchy eyes, or headaches.
In the case of invisible mould – and many cases of visible mould – getting a professional to test your home is the best way to truly understand if you are dealing with mould, and how much of it.
Aside from resolving your mold situation, Ottawa mold remediation specialists can also help get to and solve the root of the problem. Fixing the problem today is only half the battle, to prevent the same situation from occurring all overall again you have to ensure that
The Smell of Mold Presence
If there is a damp, musty, and strange odour that you haven’t encountered before in your home, that’s a clear sign that you should investigate for possible presence of mold .
Discovering mold before it escalates saves you a lot of trouble, effort, time and money.
Different mold species have different smells, but you’ll know it by the smell of it.
Any smell that isn’t common for your home is worth investigating. The scent may lead you to the source of your black mold in-house problem.
Health Issues Associated with Mold
Mold growth in your home is a health hazard that causes a range of different health issues and conditions. Getting mold testing for your home is one of the best ways to improve air quality in your home and protect your family’s health.
Mold increases the risk of asthma and other respiratory and allergy symptoms. If you leave it untreated, mold growth may lead to:
- Throat, nose, and eye irritation
- Phlegm buildup
- Severe coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Asthma and allergy symptoms
- Respiratory illness
- Lingering flu-like symptoms
- Frequent headaches and nosebleeds
- Troubles with breathing
Mold-sensitive individuals, the elderly, children, and infants are more susceptible than others. If you’ve suddenly developed strange symptoms that you can’t exactly explain, it’s best to talk to your physician.
History of Flooding and Bad Pipes Can Lead to Mold
Bad pipes and moisture are the leading causes of mold growth indoors. If you are able to keep humidity levels in your home to below 50%, controlling the growth of mould is much simpler. But we understand that this is sometimes out of your control.
If you notice that certain areas in your house tend to flood when it rains, you should immediately check for mold.
Past flooding is also something to worry about. Mold growth usually happens after the flood.
If you know that your house went through a flooding or excessive water / moisture situation, you should check the most common areas where mold usually grows. These areas include bathrooms, kitchens, basements, plumbing, ventilation systems, etc.
If you suspect there’s mold in your house, time is of the essence. Mold can spread quickly, representing a bigger health risk to your household and a more expensive problem to manage down the road.
It’s best to hire professional mold remediation and cleanup services to make sure any harmful pollutants, allergens, irritants, mold spores and bacteria are removed from the air you breathe in your home.
With that in mind, our mold cleanup in Ottawa is the exact level of expertise and service you need.
Contact us today to get started with mold removal in Ottawa & surrounding communities.